Good Afternoon, Mr. Lundell

Thank you for your lucid explanation. It, combined with the link you provided to the J. S. Mill discussion of the topic, explained an aspect of politics I hadn't considered. At first blush, I have no issue with political proportionality. In fact, based on your example of seeking to represent a new or different view of the peoples' interest, it is an essential element of democracy. As I said in an earlier post, progressive movements always start as a minority. We are strangled when new views are denied a voice.

By way of explanation for my lack of awareness of this important point, the issue did not leap to mind because my approach to the problem is from a different perspective. I am disturbed by the usurpation of the people's right to govern themselves. I am not a professional in the field of politics, my attitudes were formed by years of observation. Over those years, it has become increasingly apparent that the root of the political problems in my homeland stem from the stranglehold parties have on our political infrastructure.

I don't think in terms of electoral districts because they, and gerrymandering, and primaries, and all the other minutiae of politics, are artifices foisted on the people to deprive them of their right to govern themselves. In time, I realized that when those who hold political power are allowed to write the rules by which that power is attained and exercised, one can not expect good government.

When I started this thread on March 2nd, I did so with the following introduction:

"This site focuses on methods of conducting elections, but most posts address only a single aspect of that topic; the way votes are counted. Is not the object for which votes are cast a matter of even greater concern? When our public officials are not representative of the people who elect them and are masters of misdirection, obfuscation and deceit, ought we not ask ourselves whether there is a taint in the method by which they are selected? Ought we not consider the role of political parties in the political process?"

Thus, my thoughts (and my comments) are mostly concerned with calling attention to the inherent danger of partisan politics and to urge consideration of electoral methods that seek the best of our people as our representatives rather than allowing political parties to dictate who we may elect.

Again, I want to thank you for broadening my horizon. What you refer to as "a typical STV proposal for the California assembly" has the incomparable merit of being possible in the relatively short term. At the same time, I think it important to continue calling attention to the adverse effects of partisan politics.

Fred