I like natural districts, so one approach would be to let people say and let history decide. The reason why I find "natural" districts natural in politics is that when people feel like they are part of some community it is easier to find consensus and cooperate within that community. And of course the border lines will then follow whatever natural dividing lines there are.

One simple approach would be to ask the voters directly about the (physical/mental) distances. The answers could be of e.g. Village1>Village2>Village3>... There could be more villages on the questionnaire than there will be districts. Also the home coordinates of each voter would be known. With these values you can then draw the districts so that you serve the voters/inhabitants as well as you can an let them belong to the districts that they like (because of driving distance or historical or whatever reason).

One could e.g. first pick n random villages as the district centres (voters may or may not need to travel there to vote), and then optimize the border lines so that more and more people are happier and happier with their district, and occasionally change also the chosen villages to check if that could lead to better results. Also some basic rules needed to keep the districts compact. This is thus a general optimization problem (and sufficiently "computationally feasible" in line with the theme of this mail stream).

If you have single seat districts you have to force the districts to be about equal in size. This will work against having natural border lines, but at at least we can force the results to be as natural as possible.

There's some risk of someone trying to gerrymander the border lines by giving guidance on how to vote. But this may not be a practical strategy.

Juho