On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:34 PM, James Gilmour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is not (or should not be) a question of whether or not there is a
> consensus at any particular geographical level of community.
> The defining factors for "the geographical community" should be the level at
> which the electors can engage with the particular issue
> and the level at which something can actually be done.  In all cases the
> objective should be to ensure that the various "assemblies"
> elected to deal with the issues are properly representative of those they are
> elected to serve.  For city-wide issues, the
> "geographical community" is the whole city.  For issues affecting only my
> local school, the "geographical community" is the area of
> the city served by that school  -  but if there are no fixed geographies
> associated with the various schools in the city, the
> appropriate community for the school board is the families whose children
> attend the local school.

This is called subsidiarity.  It is (in theory) the guiding principle
when deciding if the EU as a whole or the individual members should
handle an issue.

It is a good idea.  However, who gets to decide what is the correct
level.  Often, it is the larger assembly that gets to decide if power
should be delegated to a smaller area.

In the US, the federal government decides to a certain extent what
power the States should have.