Jameson Quinn wrote:
I don't agree that "Sincere Favorite" is practically equivalent to the FBC. The FBC is about not having to lower your one favorite candidate; it is not about not having to pick a single favorite from your favorite set. As a voter, I'd regard the former as a serious dilemma, and the latter as a trivial detail.

Would this work as a votes-only variant of FBC?

"If Y currently wins, then you shouldn't be able to make Y lose by replacing some ballots where Y is ranked below top with ballots where Y is ranked at top and the other candidates are in arbitrary order".

That's a mirror image criterion: consider the ballots after modification to be the voters' sincere ballots. Then the ballots before modification are strategic ones where the voters in question compromised to get Y to win. If the method passes FBC, the voters shouldn't have to alter their ballots in any way that moves Y below top - and if a method passes this criterion, for any pair of ballot sets that could be interpreted as this happening, Y wins in both cases.