re: "Arguments against direct democracy usually go that
     the public is too short-sighted or that it doesn't
     have enough specialized knowledge."

My personal opposition to direct democracy is the susceptibility of the public to the influence of behavioral psychology, a tool used in partisan politics to persuade the people to favor one point of view or another. It is much too easy to concoct fictions, particularly to frighten the people. To reduce the force of the manipulations that engulf us, the people need an an electoral process that allows and encourages them to deliberate. That would occur during the election stage of the hybrid process.

re: "Then the argument against the "average person" is really
     a claim by those whose opinions are more to the left on
     that line that the public can't govern on its own."

I'm not sure where my views may appear on that line because I rarely think in those terms. A friend recently suggested my approach leaned toward 'virtue ethics', in contrast to an approach which emphasizes duties or rules (deontology) or which emphasizes the consequences of actions (consequentialism). I've no idea whether that would be leftish or rightish. To be absolutely frank, my lack of an academic background hinders me in this regard. I'd never heard the term 'virtue ethics' before and had to look it up. From what I read, it seems an excellent evaluation of my belief about electoral systems.

re: "But all things equal, we'd prefer something to the right,
     because we know that concentrated unaccountable rule can
     become corrupt ..."

Whether right or left, wouldn't the hybrid approach eliminate 'concentrated unaccountability' because of the inflow of fresh faces after each election cycle? Although I may be alone in this, it seems to me party-based systems are the most susceptible to becoming oligarchical. They wind up both concentrated and unaccountable.

re: "One possible way would be that parties would reorganize
     as advisory organizations surrounding the legislators.
     If a party had drawn up a plan like the above, the members
     would try to convince the members of the legislature to
     go with it, and the members might or might not decide to
     do so."

Considering alternatives to the status quo and integrating them to the extent they are appropriate is vital for a vibrant, evolving society. Using random selection makes it difficult to include the best proponents of non-standard points of view. That is a major drawback, to the hybrid approach. Having parties function as advisory organizations might work, but it might be more effective if their best advocates participated in the election phase.

re: "... any given representative will most likely only serve
     one term, therefore he won't feel accountable. Thus he
     would, either consciously or subconsciously, favor his
     own particular interests. So the system might lead to what
     one might call 'random pork'."

To do so, the rogue needs the support of a majority of the legislature to enact the 'pork' law. Since the 'pork' is for the benefit of the rogue, such support would be difficult to enlist. Time works against such an enterprise. Corruption takes time. Blatant announcement of roguish intent will alienate more people than it attracts. In the present system, incumbents tend to be re-elected (at least, in the United States). They have multiple terms to corrupt and be corrupted. That is unlikely in the hybrid system. In addition, in partisan systems, legislators are subject to pressure from the party 'whip'. If there is no party, there is no whip.

Fred Gohlke