I share Conscious User's concerns. In fact, bazaar is in exactly the same
situation now. Canonical has limited resources and they have to choose
where to allocate them.

Moreover, the status of GNOME stack in Ubuntu repos is already daunting.
The indicator API split, the online accounts split, the fallback stack
split, the systemd split, now the display server split - they all make
Ubuntu more and more incompatible with upstream.

But I have a plan!

My idea is to get our packages into all distros we're interested in as
potential base distros by providing packager's documentation (started at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PrzhK7j3ljgAeYVgbQtdc7OHdMhjkn5f143XDyUMPDc/edit)
and organizing a sprint/hackfest (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+spec/packaging-hackfest-luna).

With that done, we can easily trick people into making pantheon spins of
the relevant base distros. This way we'll have several "backup" spins of
Luna which we'll be able to easily make our main OS if needed.

--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff
OS architect @ elementary