On 09-07-13 11:18, Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff wrote:
> My idea is to get our packages into all distros we're interested in as
> potential base distros by providing packager's documentation (started at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PrzhK7j3ljgAeYVgbQtdc7OHdMhjkn5f143XDyUMPDc/edit)
> and organizing a sprint/hackfest
> (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+spec/packaging-hackfest-luna).
>
> With that done, we can easily trick people into making pantheon spins of
> the relevant base distros. This way we'll have several "backup" spins of
> Luna which we'll be able to easily make our main OS if needed.

Of course this is a great idea... not only to as a backup plan for the
base distro (Ubuntu). But also for spreading elementary and hopefully
attracting new users and developers.

However, one of the prerequisites is the availability of releases. With
Luna getting ever nearer this is becoming less of an issue. But certain
core apps (like gala) don't have any releases at this point in time.

The next step is to move on to Luna+1, since the current library based
for Luna is getting a bit old, while other distro's move on to keep up
with new upstream releases (think Gtk+ 3.8 etc...).

Pim Vullers
(packaging elementary for Gentoo Linux)