On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 08:00:40PM +0200, Ludo Beckers wrote:
>Thanks for the many replies to my first question.
>The second one didn't have a single response though - probably I didn't
>phrase it well.
>2nd question was: how do I search for keywords in the archives?
>with this I meant the elinks-archives; how would I look for posts with eg
>"customize elinks" if there's no search option?
[...]

I would use Google.  For example, search "site:mail-archive.com
inurl:elinks-users customize elinks":

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail-archive.com%20inurl%3Aelinks-users%20customize%20elinks

or "site:gmane.org inurl:elinks customize elinks":

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agmane.org%20inurl%3Aelinks%20customize%20elinks

Surprisingly, linuxfromscratch.org disallows all spidering, so you can't
search the official archives:

    http://linuxfromscratch.org/robots.txt

Good thing many other archives exist.

While I'm sending this reply, I'll reply to your first question, as
well.

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:51:48AM +0200, Ludo Beckers wrote:
>as a regular Linux-user (non-developer) what are the benefits of using
>elinks, other than that it is nice for older machines to have fast
>webbrowsing?
[...]

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned (unless I missed it) that one can run
ELinks in programs such as GNU Screen, dtach, and tmux, allowing one to
start ELinks (possibly on a remote system), "detach", close one's
terminal window, open a new terminal window (possibly from a different
remote system), and "re-attach" to the running ELinks process.

Another thing I really like about ELinks is that it uses its bloody
cache: I can go back and forth in session history or open a cached
document with NO delay.

The general reasons I use ELinks, most of which others have touched
upon, are

-usability (Chrome with Vimium is nice, but like every graphical
  browser, it still has crippling focus issues and other, very
  frustrating UI issues);

-speed (although I admit that graphical browsers and the hardware that
  powers them keep getting faster);

-reliability (ELinks has crashers, but it's more stable than the
  standard graphical browsers, and it NEVER loses my session after
  a crash, unlike Firefox and Chrome); and

-memory usage (ELinks can use a lot, especially if one has a large
  cache, but it's still a lot better than most browsers, and it doesn't
  leak or explode in memory consumption unexpectedly [in my experience]).

I just wish I (or other developers) had time to fix some bugs and
implement better support for standards necessary for various Web sites
I must or want to use.  Note that many Web sites provide mobile versions
that work well in ELinks (e.g. https://m.twitter.com/ and most Google
services).

Best regards,

--