For hex publishing, this process is more or less the same and it’s
implicitly proven by `rake release` existence. I have no problem writing
shell function, but in my opinion, mix task here is more appropriate since
it has a direct access to the version and in shell I would parse `mix.exs`
which is a bit ugly.

Anyway, I got your reasoning, thx for reaching out.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Louis Pilfold <lo...@lpil.uk> wrote:

> Heya
>
> I'm not a fan of this as everyone will have a different steps in their
> release process.
>
> Personally I would just write a little shell script (or mix task) to do
> this.
>
> Cheers,
> Louis
>
> On 21 September 2016 at 12:17, Alexsei Matiushkin
> <aleksei.matiush...@kantox.com> wrote:
> > It would be handy to have a mix task, similar to what rake release does
> in
> > the ruby world
> > https://github.com/bundler/bundler/blob/master/lib/
> bundler/gem_helper.rb#L55
> > :
> >
> > mix.compile
> > mix test
> > source control commit with tag=CURRENT_VERSION
> > mix hex.publish
> >
> > Everything save for the third item in this list might be easily done with
> > shell alias/function, but this beast in the middle literally screws me
> up:
> > sometimes I forget to push a tag, sometimes I forget to update a version,
> > etc. It would be really great to implement the functionality that tries
> > tests, reads a version from mix.exs, uses it as a tag in commit,
> publishes
> > to hex.pm if everything above succeeded.
> >
> > I could put some effort in implementing this, but I really need kinda
> > feedback on whether it’s needed and—if so—some guidance on how to
> approach
> > it.
> >
> > Rgds, AM-73
> >
> > --

> msgid/elixir-lang-core/CAM-pwt5DQCck2G6G9B%3D7EMMBOs%
> 3D0rnjjxHcBv%3D9gqXQZ_ynagw%40mail.gmail.com.

*Alexsei Matiushkin*, Software Engineer - R&D

Office    (+34) 935 679 834

<http://kantox.com> <http://kantox.com/en>

6 Bevis Marks, London, EC3A 7BA, United Kingdom
Torre Mapfre, Planta 10, Marina, 16-18, 08005 Barcelona, Spain
*kantox.com <http://kantox.com/>*

<http://www.linkedin.com/company/1871617>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/1871617>[image: LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/1871617>
<https://twitter.com/kantox>[image:
Twitter] <https://twitter.com/kantox>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/kantoxfx>[image: YouTube]
<https://www.youtube.com/user/kantoxfx>

Kantox Limited is registered in England and Wales as a Limited Company: No
07657495 and is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN: 580343,
as a Payments Institution under the Payment Services Regulations 2009. This
email is subject to professional secrecy. It is confidential and for the
exclusive use of its addressee. If you are not the addressee, you are not
authorised to read, keep or disseminate it.