Single quotes will become a syntax error in Elixir 2.0.

We need to consider two scenarios here: reading code and writing code.

I believe that when someone reads ~c"" for the first time compared to '',
the sigil version will be more foreign, while the single quotes is more
likely to be assumed to be *something*. I am not sure one experience is
necessarily better than the other.

However, when it comes to writing, I believe the ~c"" version will be less
confusing. There is very little chance someone will write ~c"" meaning a
string by mistake. Specially if single quotes raise a syntax error in the
future. And they are both learnable syntaxes, you need to learn what they
mean.

For those who are skeptical because they use single quotes extensively, I
have one suggestion: try a change in your project where you replace single
quotes by the sigil, give it a week and let us know how it goes. I have
done it in a couple of my projects already and I was pleased with the
results.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

--

*José Valim*
www.plataformatec.com.br