The current semantics of typep are directly inherited from Erlang and
Typespecs. We could introduce our own pre-parsing but there is little
benefit in doing so. We would need to reimplement a good part of the
typespec processing, adding both code and time complexity to the codebase.

The best would be to start such a discussion on the Erlang/OTP side of
things.

*José Valim*
www.plataformatec.com.br
Skype: jv.ptec