Hi Boris! Thanks for your comments.

I disagree with you that this is simply a workaround for an editor. I think
the role of the "dots" in the formatter is to show some visual information
and the way things are now it is not optimal visual information as a very
long horizontal line adds too little as a UX.

Emacs is just one part of this equation (and has recently added a
so-long-mode.el to core distribution but that is not working properly for
me). But I see this UX on CI and other places too and I think we can do
better.

In any case, I totally understand if this is unwanted in core though I
still think it would be just "a better" formatter for all.

Glad there are other Emacsers around!

Regards,