This library and accompanying examples are quite good:

https://github.com/mdgriffith/elm-style-animation/

I'm not familiar enough with what the pre-0.17 elm guide said about
animation to know if this is similar to the original way or a departure
from it, however. I'm interested in this aspect of Elm as well.

Duane