It's really about finding what browsers elm code won't run on.
On the project I'm working on, IE8 is in scope because we still have a
significant number of users using it. If I want to introduce elm, it's
easier to say it runs without a problem than to say some features won't
work, or we need to polyfill. Same goes for any old browser with still some
market share.