On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:53:42 PM UTC+1, Janis Voigtländer wrote:

> So the definition of List might look like:
>
> type List a
> = Nil
> | Cons a (List a)
>
> That’s exactly how the definition of List would look like if it didn’t
> have a native implementation.
>
> So it seems you already know everything.

:-) Sweet. 20 years ago I was a CS undergrad and they made us learn ML. I
did my final year project in Moscow ML (a compiler) and my masters project
in OCaml (an AI pattern matching thing). I remember at the time saying "it
will be 20 years before this stuff becomes mainstream". Well, I think ocaml
and haskell have made some good progress in that time. I haven't touched it
though for 20 years, so its taking a while to figure things out again.

One of the reasons I found it so hard to learn javascript is that I could
not find a readable book on the subject. I definitely think the Elm docs
need a lot of work because they leave a lot of gaps. Perhaps the upcoming
"Elm in Action" book will be comprehensive in its coverage:

https://www.manning.com/books/elm-in-action