The issue is that when you have external state, there need to be ways —
features, patterns of coding, etc — that prevent accidental destruction of
one component accompanied by creation of a new component when what one
wanted was an update to the existing component. This depends on having a
notion of identity that the HTML support in Elm eschews except for the
keyed case.

Mark