I'm using App.programWithFlags to initialize the state of my model from
local storage (as described in this blog article
 But when the schema of my model changes (ex: I added a new field to a
record type) it will correctly error out when Elm.Main.fullscreen is called
with error: "You are trying to initialize module `Main` with an unexpected

I am OK with throwing away the state from local storage and starting from
scratch when this happens, so I tried to add a try catch in the JavaScript
but surprisingly (to me) the catch doesn't fire.

try {
    elmApp = Elm.Main.fullscreen(startingState);
catch (e) {
    elmApp = Elm.Main.fullscreen(null); // this never gets called

Is there a way that I can catch this error?  Or do I need to use a
different approach?