update is a function that takes a message and a model and produces the
updated version of the model. In some cases, update also can produce some
requests for more input (http requests, requests for random numbers, ports
requests) this is why the top level update has (Model, Cmd Msg) as return.
Internal updates however, might not need these requests and can be simpler.
What you see in the repository you linked is a pattern of nesting
"components" that is currently passively discouraged.  (there use to be a
set of examples around this but they are gone).

The official recommendation around scaling is to focus on breaking the
functionality into functions:
https://guide.elm-lang.org/reuse/

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:00 AM, clouddie <contact.cloud...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, are there official guidelines for structuring large scale apps ? For
> instance, what is the community take on things like https://github.com/
> rogeriochaves/structured-elm-todomvc/tree/modular ?
> This is quite neat although I cannot quite m'y head round the fact the
> Update fonctions in TaskList deal with messages for Task ans TaskList, and
> they do not respect thé standard (Model, Cmd Msg) signatures ?

There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/