Thanks for the pointer. We hadn't dug into Phoenix deeply enough to see
that it has a request/response architecture at the channel level already,
so that was useful news. On the other hand, what that basically does is
says that for the special case of Phoenix channels where the need for a
callback is already defined and where the effects manager supports it, we
can move the need to store functions out of the model and into the effects
manager. Great for that special case. But what if I needed to use web
sockets instead of Phoenix? My general point is that one doesn't have to
dig that deeply to find places where storing functions in the model is
useful. On the other hand, many of those use cases do look like effects
managers which might suggest that the answer is to write effects managers —
except the the documentation also discourages doing that.