On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:50 AM, John Kelly <jdrkell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless I'm mistaken, that is the goal I have set for elm-postgrest
> <https://github.com/john-kelly/elm-postgrest>. The equivalent of a
> `Decoder` in my library is a `Query`.

Yes, your project does look like a step in the right direction.

> I am unsure if you are suggesting that a general API *could *exist which
> encompasses all backends. I originally tried to create a general API, but
> quickly came to the conclusion that such a task was quite tricky.

Take a look at Datomic. If one goes from the database to the language,
things might look impossible. If one goes from the language to the
database, things might be doable.

> Overall, (once again sorry for the plug) I think that elm-postgrest
> <https://github.com/john-kelly/elm-postgrest> has made some decent steps
> in the right direction, and I think a more thorough audit / usage of the
> code could bring this conversation to another level. (also, for those too
> lazy to look up PostgREST -- it's basically the same as graphql -- but 0
> coding required. some fancy people might say "isomorphic")

Again, I would love to see the ideas you put in your project explored and
taken further.
I think that what is needed is some kind of complex enough example, like
the music database that I mentioned earlier.
It needs to be complex enough to be an example on how you do references and
pagination.

--
There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/