I remember hearing the creator of F# talk about their lack of type classes
too - basically he didn't /want/ the abstractions you can have in Ocaml.

On the other hand, listen to Haskell people talk about the lack of
standardisation, it's a kitchen sink of optional abstractions. And hard to
teach.

Upshot is  - *suprisingly* these languages & ideas are still left-field.

Elm is quite a radical proposition, to both beginners and functional
language veterans.

But it's one that I think has a good shot of succeeding.