There's nothing in the standard libraries (that I know of) to help with
number formatting. There have been a few libraries written, but this
<http://package.elm-lang.org/packages/krisajenkins/formatting/4.0.6/Formatting>
is the only one I see that is up-to-date with 0.18.

My personal guideline for when to publish something is just whenever I have
something I want to use in multiple projects.  Your code solves a
problem... I say publish it! You can always improve or expand it later if
you want.

The README for elm-package <https://github.com/elm-lang/elm-package> walks
you through the steps of publishing something to the package manager. In my
experience, the elm-package command is pretty user friendly... if you
forget something like documentation, or bumping the version number, it will
let you know. But if there is anything confusing, we'll be happy to clear
it up :-)