As a non haskeller I do find my something constantly wishing that where
expressions had been chosen instead if let/in. Let/in leads to a sort of
vertigal zig zagging as you need to jump to the bottom then scan backwards for
the supporting information. In other languages I've always ordered my methods
as per the where expression (I think it was a practice I picked up from Kent
Beck who recommended it for readability) and while I can order my functions
this way at the module level I do miss it with let/in. The pattern Joey
suggests seems good, the counter argument though is that you need to check the
'in' to know if that pattern is being used so you end up doing the zig zag read
anyway.

That being said I favour the simplicity of a single form, I just wish where had
been chosen instead of let/in. The argument regarding being able to use let/in
with anonymous functions seems irrelevant as it's use would be a clear sign
that the function should be broken out into a named function.