Hi Rory,

I've just done this!
I've been working on a series of guided essay writing applications where
the output is both Word and PDF.
I ended up going through ports and generating the PDF using pdfMake:

https://github.com/bpampuch/pdfmake

And this parser:

http://jsfiddle.net/mychn9bo/75/

pdfMake is incredibly configurable - I believe it allows you to set
specific line breaks.... ?

These were the steps I followed to get my content out of Elm an turn it
into a printable, downloadable PDF doc:

1. I sent my content from Elm though a port as a string of markdown text.
2. I formatted it as HTML on the JS side using marked.js (that's because
pdfMake needs the text to be in HTML format)
3. I ran the newly HTML-ized content though a slightly modified version of
the parser linked above.
4. And finally sent the parsed content to pdfMake's `createPdf` method.

It's a little bit of work - but not too bad and definitely worth it!

Cheers,
Rex

PS: Word output requires something else... just let me know if you ever
need to do that.