> It's certainly reasonable to say that there is a point where pursuing
> fractal TEA is overkill and not buying one much but extra plumbing work.

I would say that pursuing it as the end itself, rather than using it when
appropriate as the means to an end (the end being a code base that scales
nicely), is overkill from the start. :)

But it is also exactly the case of things like the sign up form where being
> able to say "Here is a sign up form. It has a model, messages, update, and
> view. You embed it in the rest of your app like this."

Sure. You can already do that; that is the signup form's API. That doesn't
imply the checkbox ought to have the same API!

> The goal in a composable architecture is to have "like this" fit enough of
> a pattern that a programmer coming into an embedding situation knows what
> to expect.

That is the purpose of an API; programmers seeking to reuse code know what
to expect by looking at a clear API.

"Everything ought to have the same API" is a much harder claim to defend.
It sounds wrong at face value, and I haven't seen any evidence (in this
thread or elsewhere) to convince me that it's a wise goal to pursue. :)