Using native code in Elm isn't particularly hard (though, you cannot
publish such code as an elm package).

My original, and still working, array implementation uses native code (it's
a "blessed" library). It's better to use that as a template for any
experimentation you might want to
do: https://github.com/Skinney/elm-array-exploration