I downloaded the same dmg file from sourceforge and it worked on a G4
iBook and an intel iMac. I installed it in the /Applications
directory. I had to edit my .emacs file a little bit to get a couple
of modes working. Do you have an old .emacs file thats getting in the
way? A suggestion that I got from this list is to run emacs with the -
Q option. If Emacs.app is in the /Application directory use the
terminal and type:

/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

When I do this I get a blank emacs window with none of my customization.