On 10 November 2016 at 10:47, Samuel Wales <samolog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> iirc we've discussed whether planning lines (i.e. scheduled, deadline,
> closed at this time) should be flexible.  we concluded to make them
> strict.
>
> check archives for the discussion.  :) everything goes through this
> mailing list.
>
> OK, I'll accept that and have a look at the rationale. However, since
DEADLINE: is so terribly important, I think that there should be a
prominent warning in the manual that they are simply ignored if not
positioned correctly. Warnings should appear, at the very least, in 8.1 and
8.3.

Suggested wording:

In 8.1:

timestamp can appear anywhere in the headline or body of an Org tree
entr UNLESS is is preceded by a keyword in which case it must be properly
positioned or it will be ignored: see 8.3 for details.

In 8.3:

A timestamp may be preceded by special keywords to facilitate planning.
WARNING: both the timestamp and the keyword are ignored if not positioned
immediately following the headline. No space or other text is allowed.

Regards,
Alan

--
Alan L Tyree                    http://austlii.edu.au/~alan