Copying this on both Emacs devel and Org mode list. Hopefully this
discussion is eligible for that.

Problem statement: Need to have a pretty interface that shows the available
valid key bindings.

We have something custom developed for Org export interface. Magit has its
own popup interface. I know verilog-mode.el has something in-house for
picking the skeleton for insertion, but the interface is not as good as
hydra's.  Projectile.el (not on GNU Elpa) has its projectile commander,
another in-house attempt to get a similar pop-up interface.

Of all those options and more that I've seen out there, hydra.el looks like
the most elegant and *configurable* option.

Can hydra.el be merged into Emacs core, so that all the packages can start
taking advantage of that? We need to stop having each package develop their
own way to do this same thing.

It's already on GNU Elpa[1] , so there won't be any legal concerns.

[1]: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/hydra.html

--

Kaushal Modi