On Wed, Apr 15 2020, Richard Lawrence wrote:
62 combinations might sound like a lot, but if you want your cite commands to be mnemonic, you'll run out of options much more quickly.
[...]
So, I think the relevant question
is: how many different basic citation types are needed *within a single document*, keeping in mind that these basic types will be formatted in
different ways, depending on the choice of stylesheet?

My experience is that it's typically just two (e.g. parenthetical and author-in-text), and my memory of the earlier conversation was that most people agreed. This is also borne out in the Pandoc syntax. As long as we have two basic types of citations, the finer points of formatting
them can be achieved via other syntax, including the choice of
stylesheet.

Good points. I guess what this boils down to is whether Org wants to be like LaTeX, where simple things are doable and complicated things possible, or Pandoc, where simple things are simple indeed and complicated things essentially impossible.

To clarify: in LaTeX (biblatex) you can mix footnote and in-text citations in a single document, Pandoc doesn't allow that. Pandoc's functionality is sufficient for a great majority of cases, but if you want or need to go beyond it, things get very difficult.

My suggestion would still be not to hard-code a limit on possible citation commands. Org itself should probably just provide the basics, but users and add-on packages should be allowed to define more specific commands with readable names and there should be a well-defined interface for doing so (just like users and packages can add new link types, for example).

Just my €0.02, of course.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments