Hi,

     (strict inside before) corresponds to French typography.

Regarding French typography.
With this example:
#+language: fr
#+cite_export: test

"This is a complete sentence."[cite:@key]

"This is an incomplete sentence" [cite:@key].

"This is an incomplete sentence". [cite:@key]

This is a complete sentence. [cite:@key]

This is an incomplete sentence [cite:@key].

I'm getting:

"This is a complete sentence[1]."

"This is an incomplete sentence[2]" .

"This is an incomplete sentence"[3].

This is a complete sentence[4].

This is an incomplete sentence[5].

1, 3, 4, 5 look ok.
2 is a bit odd.
- there's the spurios space before the period.
- I think in that case the footnote mark should be just before the period, i.e. after the quotation mark. Basically like example 3.

I think the textbook rule regarding French typography is:
Place the footnote mark just before the final punctuation.
Punctuation is placed inside quotation marks if we have a full quotation, otherwise outside. (OTOH, that seems to be a textbook rule. As I've said, I haven't seen that in real books.)

I don't know if that is feasible with the current parameters.

Denis