What do you mean by 'inning' org to the ELPA repository?

What I've done was to remove the last line in my init.el for ...
orgmode.org/elpa, restarted, then tried through list-packages to D org --
which seemed to comply, but never removed org-20210920 from the elpa
directory. Not being gone, the old version kept reinstalling itself. So I
finally manually moved org-20210920 somewhere else. But then repeated
restarts never brought org-9.5 into the list-packages listing, despite
having gnu/elpa in my init.el. But I did manage to "trick" 9.5 in by
installing an org package with org, naturally, needed as a dependent. It
offered some other version, but the "other version" install window knew
about latest-greatest 9.5, which I chose, thereby "tricking" 9.5 to be
installed. Org-9.5 is now listed only as a dependency in list-packages, of
all things. I commented out my org-plus-contrib, not knowing how to proceed
with it. The install instructions on the main org page were not
very clear, to say the least.

--
⨽
Lawrence Bottorff