Sébastien Miquel writes:
Should we use native buffer's value of =indent-tabs-mode= to set
=use-tabs?= ? I think this trivial change should work.

It doesn't seem quite that easy. If we want to add 4 columns to a tab
indented line (and tab width is 8), we can either call =indent-to= to
indent with a tab and 4 spaces, or add the spaces at the beginning.
With the second option, we risk breaking vertical alignement in the
org buffer. With the first option, on a subsequent edit, the current
=org-do-remove-indentation= will break the tab character into 4
spaces, making the indentation 8 spaces instead of a tab. You need to
have =org-do-remove-indentation= re-indent the whole line, with the
correct value of =indent-tabs-mode=.

--
Sébastien Miquel