Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miq...@posteo.eu> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>> May you please provide an example for such breakage?
>>  From my point of view, alignment is far lesser concern compared to
>> indentation breaking code execution/tangling/other functional parts of Org.
>
> Let's say tab-width is 8 and elisp-mode uses tabs for indentation. In
> the following snippet, arg2 should be indented with a tab.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (some-f arg1
>          arg2) ;; arg2 is indented at column 8
> #+END_SRC
>
> If I add two spaces at the beginning of the block. It should visually
> look like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>    (some-f arg1
>          arg2) ;; arg2 is indented at column 8
> #+END_SRC

This is not a problem. We can just apply appropriate 'display property
in `org-src-font-lock-fontify-block', manually replacing the tab with
appropriate number of spaces (as in the origin buffer).

> Calling =indent-to= would rather put the two spaces after the tab
> character.

Then, we should not use `indent-to' and instead put spaces manually.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,