Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Max Nikulin <maniku...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 26/01/2024 19:53, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>>> So, I am leaning towards reverting that commit - that will allow things
>>> like
>>>
>>> #+TITLE: This is a test title[fn::This is test]
>>
>> I hope, document metadata will be generated with stripped footnotes.
>
> This is a good point.
>
> For now, [fn::This is test], when passed to exporters, is simply treated
> as plain text.
>
> If we change the parser nesting rules, Org will pass footnote-reference
> objects instead.
>
> Then, in a number of parsers, if something like
> (org-export-data (plist-get info :title) info) or
> (org-export-data author info)
> is used, footnotes may break export because metadata fields often have
> special rules about markup that is allowed inside.
>
> In particular, ox-odt will be broken; ox-latex will be broken.
>
> Of course, we can adjust built-in backends to take into account the new
> parsing rules, but we have no control over the third-party backends.
>
> On the other hand, when user exports something like
>
> #+AUTHOR: John Doe[fn::935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, D.C.
> 20535-0001]
> it is probably not exported as expected anyway.

How about using dedicated keywords? Something like:

#+FN_AUTHOR: footnote text
#+FN_TITLE: footnote text

I give these two examples because they are the two places where a
footnote of this type is expected. I know: it's ugly and corseted (what
to do if a title has more than one footnote or an "inner" footnote?).
But I suppose it would be safe for a basic case, since it would only be
necessary to modify org-latex-template, org-odt-template, etc., without
risk of unexpected results.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel