Manish <mailtomanish.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Nick Dokos<nicholas.do...@hp.com> wrote:
> > Bernt Hansen <be...@norang.ca> wrote:

> >>    (shell-command (concat "GITDIR=" dir " && git describe --abbrev=4
> >> HEAD"))
> >
> > Disclaimer: I touch Windows once a day to check a mail account and
> > possibly surf the web - other than that, I'm pretty much at sea in it
> > (and I've never used emacs on Windows, let alone install git on it.)
> > Please excuse the elementary questions.
> >
> > How does shell-command work under Windows?
>
> No idea.
>
> > What shell is it using?
>
> Windows has it's own CMD shell (CMD.exe).
>
> > Is cygwin a prerequisite for it?
>
> Prerequisite for CMD? No.  CMD is native and comes with Windows.
>
> > Is cygwin a prerequisite for git?
>
> Native git on Windows was reported to have issues quite sometime back.  I read
> somewhere that the situation is much better now.  Cygwin git has always worked
> for me without any issues.

Manish,

Thanks! IIUC, there are then multiple forks in the decision tree:

        o running on Windows or on something else?

        o if on Windows, running native or under cygwin?

        o what shell am I using? cmd.exe and bash under cygwin accept
        different syntax - in particular, the GITDIR=foo solution of
        setting env variables has no hope of working under cmd.exe -
        is that correct?

Sounds complicated. Maybe the best solution for now is to punt on
the git information on Windows?

    (when (not (member system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt cygwin)))
          ...add git info...)

What about system-type == "darwin"? Does Bernt's code work there?

Thanks,
Nick