Matt,
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Matt Price <mopto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Scot Becker <scot.bec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another Zotero + org user here.  Right now I do what Christian does:
>> export Zotero to slightly
>> tweaked<http://github.com/commonman/zotero-bibtex-sb>BibTeX, and insert with
>> RefTeX's amazingly cool reference-insertion
>> interface (another genius piece of work by Carsten).
>
> i'm getting nearly convinced to go this route.  May I ask, do you use
> reftex from within org?  I'm not quite sure on how that would wok (but also
> I'm not that familiar w/ the latex parts of the documentation...).

 Yes, RefTeX's job is just to insert a \cite{BibTeX_key} command.  It
doesn't care what the major mode is when you call it.  And though I
sympathize with the reasons not to use LaTeX for academic writing in the
humanities (since few potential colaborators do, and publishers hardly ever
will), recent developments in the BibTeX realm have reduced the problems
there.  If you haven't seen
BibLaTeX<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/biblatex.html>,
have a look at it, it's a BibTeX replacement with much more flexibility.
There are already a few interesting citation engines build on top of it:
biblatex-chicago<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/exptl/biblatex-contrib/biblatex-chicago/#jh393d9cb73b791d18abee756b61e67cb7>,
which I use and am happy with (it's in-progress, but in very active
development), and another biblatex style for
historians<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/biblatex-historian.html>(which
I can't speak to.)

The whole process of exporting a document of any complexity to MS Word
format sounds daunting, but I'm glad to hear that others have had some
success with it.  Many thanks for starting this thread. I've learned a lot.

Scot