Hi Achim

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:26, Achim Gratz <strom...@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Again I don't know if or when this gets merged.  I've already used up my
> TINYCHANGEs and hit an impasse with the FSF papers that I don't know how
> to resolve... :-(  Then again, the build system doesn't really become
> part of Emacs, but it's up to the maintainers to decide.

I hope that this can be solved and that your Makefile restructuring
will be merged into master.

> I'd much prefer to inject the version in a different way, not making an
> altered copy that the build works from.  The result is the same, but it
> doesn't feel OK... so probably the solution should be to get the version
> injected via some @set in an @include file (that's the recommended way
> from the Texinfo perspective, anyway) that is produced by make whenever
> the source file changes.

I prefer this cleaner solution you have just implemented too of course.

>> And I _added_ the target "info-vg" because implementing the same
>> functionality in the target "info" itself, by either adding an
>> auto-detect whether git describe is available (like org-version does)
>> or using org-version itself, is not an option. One still needs to have
>> the unchanged target "info" to build a release with the info version
>> not possibly influenced by git describe.
>
> I posit that if it's worth to have that (I'd say yes), ``make info´´
> should do that, in a way that is compatible with version control.

Is it possible with your current "make info" to get an info file
without git describe for a release like ELPA when made from within a
git repo and also for Emacs when building Emacs from a bzr-mirroring
git repo?

> Anyway, I've implemented the requested functionality into my Makefile
> fork, please test.

Thank you for this implementation. Since my patch discussed here is
now superseded by your branch I thought it would be cleaner to put my
comments to the sub-thread "Makefile restructuring" starting here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-07/msg00680.html

Michael