> > I've been using org-mode for a variety of purposes for a few years. I find
> > that it suffers from the same problem that other such tools do. The
> > problem is me. I can't remember week to week how I may have classified
> > some scrap of information. Did I drop it into notes/someproduct.org or was
> > it procedures/someprocess.org?

1. Every information should have a single location, not two. Mix sections fast
if you detect repetitions. Use links extensively (C-c l) to connect one header
with another, specially after you get lost once. Don't bother too much about
finding the right place at the first time, you'll eventually reorder or move
headers to the correct place.

2. Use global search (C-a /), you can use regular expressions there. No need to
use grep.

3. Use the package „helm“ to get fast access to all headers or to a subsection
of headers (e.g. the ones you tag). E.g. I use <<<radio>>> to give important
sections a title. After 1 key you start typing some letters, select with
cursors, press ENTER and go to the header.

> Also, if English is not your native language, consider making notes in
> English.  Whether you like it or not, it has one huge advantage: it's
> /simple/.  Almost no inflections, so grepping English texts is /much/
> easier than, say, Polish (we have /a lot/ of inflections).  (In this
> regard, Esperanto is even better, though personally I'm not fluent
> enough in it to make my notes in Esperanto comfortably.)

  And I thought I was the only one taking notes in Esperanto! >700 Kb of my
notes are in Esperanto. Sometimes I invent new words which later I don't find
by searching, but after I do, I add the new variants of the title. It's great
for defining strange concepts.
  Inflections are a minor problem in most languages, just use partial search or
regexp (e.g. in Polish use „słow“ instead of „słowo“, „następn.*“ etc.) and
you'll find everything. If you want inflection-free languages you'll need
Indonesian, Chinese, …
  But I wouldn't force taking notes in a language you don't like, just use the
ones you like. („the ones“, in plural).

  Ĝis!

Daniel