> * Get group and user name on any machine with perl.

Last I checked, this is never used.
The standard `file-attributes' does not have this `nonnumeric' argument
and the rcp.el code never uses it either.

> * Very simple lisp for `file-attributes'.
> The down sides:
> * The perl script is transfered when the connection is established -
>   ~800 bytes of data.

The Perl code could be made simpler by moving some of the processing
to the Elisp side, if those 800 bytes are a problem.
For me, 800 bytes per connection is "lost in the noise".
Is it significant for people who suffer through a phone connection ?

        Stefan