On 27 May 2000, Stefan Monnier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> * Get group and user name on any machine with perl.
>
> Last I checked, this is never used. The standard `file-attributes'
> does not have this `nonnumeric' argument and the rcp.el code never
> uses it either.

Hrm. Why would that be there?

Ah! It will be to support some VC integration stuff. Right. That bit can
be dropped[1].

[...]

> The Perl code could be made simpler by moving some of the processing
> to the Elisp side, if those 800 bytes are a problem.

Yes. I think that it could go to 200 or 300 bytes if I dropped
non-numeric and the permissions stuff.

> For me, 800 bytes per connection is "lost in the noise".
> Is it significant for people who suffer through a phone connection ?

It was tolerable, though noticeable, on a modem->net->modem connection
for me. I don't think that it's a killer issue though, especially if I
break out parts of it that are not often used and send them on demand -
the non-numeric stuff, for example.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Well, moved to where it should be, anyway.

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises
in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral