On 30 Jul 2001, Joe Wells wrote:

> I visit a file in an unwritable remote directory.  I modify the
> buffer.  I try to save my changes.  The operation fails.  The only
> error message is "tramp_exit_status 2" in the "*tramp/METHOD HOST*"
> buffer.
>
> Turning on tramp-debug-buffer reveals that what failed was
> attempting to copy the file to a backup file name.
>
> This works fine locally and via ange-ftp, so I think it should work
> in TRAMP.

I agree.  Hm.  I need to find out a way to have Emacs proceed even if
auto-save from within Tramp files.

As a workaround, you can set tramp-auto-save-directory (which will do
all auto-saves locally).  Oh, wait, you're talking about backups.  Hm.

Maybe setting backup-by-copying won't work, either: that might allow
you to rename the file but not to save the buffer.  Hm.  Or does it
work?  Could you try that for me?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory