I picked up on the cheap a Global Village Teleport 56k modem (V.90 
technology, it says, and 56k flex compatible), upgrading from my old 28.8 
US Robotics. In all the places where I'm asked for the modem type, this 
modem is not listed. It works fine (at least when I get a good connection 
to my university server), but the dialing speed seems to be slower than 
the US Robotics was. Is this a modem string issue, and if so, does anyone 
have (or know where I can get) and appropriate string for this modem. 

Also, it has a horrible handshake sound. On the US Robotics, a nice touch 
was a volume control knob, so you could turn down the volume but still 
hear the handshake. I need to turn this off for those late night surfing 
and email sessions. Where would I find the modem string to add the 
appropriate M0 command to get silence?

TIA

David

David Niethamer
Principal Clarinet, Richmond Symphony
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.aol.com/dbnclar1/

___________________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe send a mail message with a SUBJECT line of "unsubscribe" to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  or  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to