As we all know, AOL employees have "no idea  from Adam" about Emailer. 
And did they ever prove it last week!

I receive tons of pornography on my "Community Leader" name. (I don't get 
too many scams anymore because scammers have learned that if sent to me, 
I deconstruct them and get them busted so a scam doesn't last long and 
then they can't really catch too many for their troubles...) I am sure 
the forum snerts have put my name on every list. This can not be helped. 
I run a forum, and so that name is vulnerable to anyone who might pop in 
to cull names for such reasons. I don't go into forums with any other 
name, and only go onto the AOL software to do my duties.

Anyway, one particular porno spammer was very persistent and kept sending 
me SEVERAL ads and links to his pornography service, stating that this 
was a purely 100% opt-in list and that I had  "subscribed and been 
verified". Yah right!  He used AOL webmail, without question and was a 
real AOL address not faked. Aha, TOS time!!!

So I TOSed the heck out of him, each time, forwarding the mail to AOL's 
TOS department and also doing the "unsubscribe" thing, which later, AOL 
said I SHOULD do, just in case someone subscribed me without my 
permission.
Also, I maintain that any person who harasses me via email deserves an 
email back, warning them they have been reported and to leave me alone.

Friday night, I was going onto the AOL software, which I have to do to 
perform my CL duties, and found my password had been reset! Long story 
short, from what I can tell by looking in my "sent" mail on the AOL 
software, there was no anomaly with passwords and such but that TOS 
employees who can not decipher Emailer mail, wrongly read the  TOS 
reports from ME (using my Emailer) as coming from the SPAMMER about me, 
not the other way around! Consequently, I now have an erroneous TOS on my 
 name for "sending unsolicited commercial email from my HOST name" a 
situation for which now my supervisor must escalate and try to have 
removed.

The irony of the whole thing is, that the violation was not harrassing a 
member with unwanted email, or sending out pornography, but sending  a 
commercial link to a member while on my volunteer name! Apparently, AOL 
is more concerned that you might be making money behind their backs than 
if you are sending nasty email to people!

I asked the help desk when I called, what about this member? They are not 
out of the service for sending the PORNO in the first place? She informed 
me that there was little AOL could do to stop them from flooding the 
mailboxes with that stuff...and that we should just keep on reported it 
as UCE...

UCE indeed!
 
It has now been admitted (after I satisfied them that I was not 
compromised, and had no viruses on my system and that no one sent mail 
from my account without my permission) that  most likely the TOS employee 
read the mail backward and they agreed that this often happens with 
mailers that are NOT the actual AOL software.....

So my caution to all of you who use AOL with Emailer  is, that when 
dealing with AOL's TOS department, for any reason, open the AOL software 
and do it from there!!!

Meanwhile if there are other mailers that can pick up AOL software, what 
are they exactly? The new Netscape 6 I would assume.. Don't know of any 
other...






___________________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe send a mail message with a SUBJECT line of "unsubscribe" to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  or  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to