My Reply follows quote. On 26/02/2003 00:02 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>>Sometimes JPEG docs come through and other times they don't.  I
>>can always download them through AOL 4.0 itself, even when only the
>>email and not the attachment is picked up by Emailer.  Any
>>suggestions?
>
>I have exactly the same problem and I don't know why either.
>
>Recently my mail has been saying "this attachment could not be read by
>this version of AOL."  Sometimes I think AOL just wants us to upgrade to
>a new version of AOL.  But I don't even have AOL loaded on my Mac G4.  I
>just configure Emailer to retrieve it.  They must know what version I
>used to have which is 4.0 just like you have.

Never seen this statement, though I get "[The picture or image contained
in this e-mail cannot be viewed using this version of AOL.]" all the
time. It is caused by folks who send mail with pictures embedded in the
mail body, rather like a newsletter. The "this version of AOL" is most
likely a vestige of the days when Emailer was written and was allowed
access via a proprietary interface to AOL mail servers. Access via that
link must be "evidence" that the user is using an "older" version of an
AOL client (probably 2.7 or 3?). Perhaps these two error messages are
related?

>The only other thing I think might be going on is that if the attachment
>is large or comes from someone who hasn't sent an email before to you,
>they give you the opportunity to not view the attachment when you go
>online to retrieve it.
>
>I don't have a problem with anything except photos.  I am on a
>horticultural mailing list and plant photos are often attached.  Even
>though the list itself has a size limit of 50-60k for photo attachments,
>some of them don't come through for some reason.  I have to go online to
>view them.
>
>I wish AOL would filter the SPAM for me.

You can do a bit of this by going on line and entering "domains" of
frequent spammers in the "Mail Preferences" setup.

Ken