I was having some issues with tuning servos with CUI encoder that are connected
to Geckos and talked with Mariss.  He said the the mounting interface of the
CUI encoder can slip and has too much play (backlash) in it.  He suggested
putting a drop of super glue on the edge of the plastic piece that mounts to
the motor shaft (to keep it from slipping), and to put a drop of silicone caulk
in a single tooth of the encoder-to-shaft interface in order to take up the
space (slop) and reduce backlash.  I haven't done this yet, but was thinking
that if the ring on the motor shaft could slip a tiny bit, and with the
backlash (that is clearly visible), could this be why you are seeing a lag?

-Tom

ps: this is on the developers list but seems relevant to all users...