Heh heh, I see a religious argument ensuing.  Either you believe that powering
the machine down is the only guarantee of safety, or you believe that your
electronics are unquestionably reliable and you are a statistician.  If the vfd
has power and rather than power it down you command it to brake, and it (or say
the control computer) is malfunctioning, perhaps it will speed up, or reverse
or some other bad thing.  On the other hand, the probability that the emergency
at hand is related to bad computer or vfd is small and therefore it might be a
safer (quicker) stop to command it so.  I am not sure either argument wins.
Ideally you want to de-power everything and (separately) mechanically brake
motors, no?

I know there are papers written on this subject and I believe controlled estop
is considered to be better in some cases. In my case I had originally planned
to do it controlled, but couldn’t figure out a circuit that would still allow
me to use a charge pump to trip the contactors in case the computer goes south.
 Hence I needed to delay the initialization of the modbus component….

-Tom