I have to agree with Norbert here. On my mill I mostly do one-offs. I
have jog wheels for each axis, making it possible to operate the machine
very much like a manual with DRO. For simple stuff like facing off or
squaring up an edge I'll use the jog wheels. If for instance I want to
drill a hole at an accurate position I'll use MDI to position X,Y then
the Z jog wheel to do the drilling. For more complicated jobs I'll spend
half my time using the jog wheels and half using MDI. With a bit of
practice this becomes a very fast way of producing one-off parts. Being
able to jog any time the interpreter is idle is one of the few reasons
why I still use Mach on my mill.

My lathe runs EMC and I have a number of front panel buttons that run
snippets of g-code. I wrote a component to handle the buttons. If you
are in jog mode it switches to MDI, executes the code then switches back
to jog. That has worked well for years.

Les