Hi:Pete Gruendeman, long time EDM operator here.  I have also written EDM
software which went forward, backward and escaped sideways off the program path.
EDM motion is based on either:Positioning, at whatever rate you program though
it's typically rather slow;or
Erosion, with no feedrate what so ever.  Sparks radiate from the wire or
carbon/copper electrode in all directions, eroding the workpiece where those
sparks make contact.  Motion forward in the programmed path is all about
maintaining erosion gap voltage, and possibly current, within limits which is
controlled entirely by movement of the electrode.  Don't call it a feedrate
because It's not a feedrate.
Read the gap voltage;If/ gap voltage > 3/4 Voc, move ahead;If/ gap voltage >
3/4 Voc && < 2/3 Voc, stay put;If/ gap voltage < 2/3 Voc, backup;repeat
All of this start, stop, backup motion will result in an average rate of travel
that is on the order of inches per hour.  It's not fast.  Though the
positioning rate for forward and reverse motion can be inches per minute.
What's really needed for useful EDM control is all of the above plus backing up
on or escaping off the programmed path at timed intervals or based on erosion
conditions.  It's not that hard to write as I have already done it in four axis
moves, linear interpolation only, no wire diameter compensation.  Code or ideas
sent upon request.
Pete Gruendeman

 I understand flushing is important but nothing about how ot adapt speed.