traditional edm gap control as developed by the Lazerenko's is based of
maintaining a gap voltage.

  * non-traditional ( in the niche of EDM ) can be ignition delay based,
    current exchange
  * or a hybrid ( see JSEM journals the japanese journals or ISEM for
    the rest of the EDM world

or google 'gap control' to see other forms of cnc not based on 'be at
predicted position at specific time'

( linuxcnc is position based on time&velocity,
   edm is position based on THE chosen process feedback
   you can choose the process variable you like to use )

to truly use a process control scheme in linuxcnc requires a huge
re-write imo
to hack some motion that follows the process variable is not difficult,
but (imop) lies in HAL not in the linuxcnc motion module.